Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

24 January 2008

...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?

What is it wit' the yutes today? Can't nobody $pell no more??

I am of the mySpace generation, sort of, well, maybe... I mean, I am on mySpace. Anyway, I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that every day I see stuff that looks something like this:
ooooh, u look sooooo cutteeeee in this pic
-or-
•°¤*(dAt Ch!Ck AlL yAlL dR3Am B0uT)*¤°•

Maybe I'm not part of the mySpace generation after all. I mean, if you can't spell because it's not your best subject, I can forgive that. I mean, heck, I never got out of remedial math (to my shame), even after more than two semesters in college. It's not my strong suit. But this ain't that. Is this now the cool thing to do? I mean, is your cool-factor elevated by how many symbols you can peck out in place of letters? Is that what it takes to be part of the mySpace club? I mean, the cool exclusive members only without the jackets club?

And all the extra eee's on words like cuteeee and other e-ending words that now escape me... am I to understand that more letters = greater emphasis? Then, some kids use ALL UPPERCASE ALL THE TIME. I thought capital letters meant more passion. I mean, they're not THAT EXCITED ALL THE TIME RIGHT? I MEAN, WHO WANTS TO YELL, OR BE YELLED AT, ALL THE TIME? I just have difficulty understanding their tone. I mean, in a way I get it. I just don't think it's cool. That's what I don't get. How is this cool?

I may sound like a fart here. I'm not trying to come down on the yutes. Really, I'm not. It's just, how did this become the "in" thing. How did not knowing how to spell get so easily wrapped up into this cuteeee package... As the so very proud former-owner of a now-lost Spelling Bee trophy from back in the 4th grade, this irks me.

My winning word was fraction in case you wanted to know. Fraction, f-r-a-c-t-i-o-n, fraction.

Anyway, all of this somehow reminds me of this conversation, although it is completely & utterly unrelated.
V:It is possible that the two yutes...
J: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
V: Uh... what word?
J: Two what?
V: What?
J: Uh... did you say 'yutes'?
V: Yeah, two yutes.
J: What is a yute?
V: Oh, excuse me, your honor...
[exaggerated]
V: Two YOUTHS.

W3¬¬, gºØDnîTeee Y@Ll!

2 people love me:

Anonymous said...

Oh commmeeee onnnnn Jod%@! Don't you know it's sooooo coooollll to talk this way? Geez :)

Missy said...

I am so uncool. And too dang tired to care.

BTW, I tagged you in a meme on my blog...if you do it, you will be cool. All the cool kids are doing it. Come on Jodie, don't be a geek, gah.