Stretch & I, along with our awesome friends, Doug & Holly, were invited to celebrate our friend Tara's birthday, which was a real treat and an honor for us. We had the BEST time (but then again, we always do). My cheeks hurt from laughing at the end of the night. We had a 7:00 reservation and were on our way home at midnight. I think that's a good indication of how much we like each other.
So, we went to this way fancy place to eat. Let's talk first about the food, and then we'll talk about everything else. Because the food? Fantastic. It was easily the best meal I've had in my life. Easily. The best. I swear, one more course and my stomach would've exploded.
I'm tempted to write a short description of each of these, describing them as SO SO good, but that's pretty redundant, aka boring, and I want y'all to still like me. So suffice it to say, the food was ah-mazing!
Here are some of the menu offerings of which we partook:
- Crab & Mango Cakes
- Papaya Stuffed Lobster & Tomato Risotto
- Curried Pumpkin, Crawfish and Corn Bisque
- Swordfish which involved saffron gastrique
- Tender loin of Beef served with potatoes and white truffle oil
- And there was a cold soup trio: watermelon, white asparagus vichyssoise and avocado. Interesting. (The word vichyssoise (and also the word segway) brought us particular delight throughout the evening.)
Despite the elaborate menu, the atmosphere was very casual and easy. Even if the silverware count at each place setting was more than I have in my silverware drawer. We had six forks, y'all. Six. Cocktail, appetizer, salad, entreé, cheese and dessert. We even had a sorbet spoon. Because there was a sorbet course between the soup and the entreé. That just makes me happy.
So far as I'm concerned, there is no better night than that. Best friends. Hysterical fun. Incredible food. Happy marriages. We are very blessed people indeed.