Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

14 May 2008

Gnarled is not synonymous with gnarly. You know, like Bill & Ted used to say?

Ever since that fateful day, which will henceforth be referred to as "the incident", I've had veins on the brain. I googled it, naturally. Where else do you go when you need to find totally accurate, truthful information pertaining to various and sundry topics? I don't know where you go, but I defer to Google. Anyway, look what I learnt.

I love words; I love the way words will really open up the meaning of other words. So, in my searching I stumbled upon this.

"Varicose veins are gnarled, enlarged veins."

gnarled -
adjective
1. having a rugged, weather-beaten appearance
2. adjective used of old persons or old trees

Thank you. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed that gnarled would make it on my short list of descriptive adjectives of my haute bawdy. I mean, haven't we all? "I want to be brilliant, brave, tall, sexy and gnarled. Even if I have to pass on some of those other traits, I definitely want to get in on some of that gnarled action."

I remember saying that. I even used those words to describe myself when I tried to map out my future when we played *M*A*S*H*. (I always secretly hoped to land on gnarled.)

I am a lucky, lucky girl.

Consequently, gnarled is not of my favorite words. Fear not though, I'm not as down and pathetic as I might sound. I just thought I'd add that so y'all don't start to worry about my mental health and whatnot. It's all good. Here's hoping for a good tan, really really soon.

1 people love me:

bren j. said...

Google: Friend or Foe?