Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

31 December 2007

Oooh, I love me some good words.

I was on a hunt to find good quotes the other day.
Because I love words. And I want to embroider some good words to hang on my walls, and maybe give as gifts too if I can bear to part with them. So I thought I'd share some.

Because I like to share.

Here they are:

The years teach much that the days never know. -Emerson

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. -Robert Southey

Govern a family as you would cook a small fish -- very gently.

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. -Luciano Pavarotti

Silent gratitude isn't much to anyone. -G.B. Stern

Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch. -Jane Austen

Outside the open window
The morning air is all awash with angels. -Richard Purdy Wilbur

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children. -C. Swindoll

There are two ways to live your life.
One is though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle. -Albert Einstein

I should be content
to look at a mountain
for what it is
and not as a comment
on my life. -David Ignatow

Criticism is only words about words, and of what use are words about such words as these?

Do you have any good quotes that you just love? What are your favorites? Want to share them? We all have a place in our hearts that loves good words.

Oh! And Happy New Year!

2 people love me:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I thoroughly enjoyed these, esp. Einstein and Ignatow. I don't really have any, but I love words, too. Thanks for sharing.

Missy said...

One of my favorite quotes is this:

The lie that elates us is dearer than a thousand sober truths.
-Pushkin

I learned this in high school. Although it is a rather somber quote, it is so true and I have quoted it countless times, both referring to myself and others.

My other favorite is "...'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." Mary Pickford said that. It is a good pep talk quote.