Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

23 September 2009

I bet I could eat all those doughnuts in one sitting and other random thoughts.



1. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.
Middle School... that would be 7th and 8th Grade? Those were the worst of all my school years. Those were the years I was in serious emotional trouble; a danger to myself. I hated my life in every way.
  • I spent several class periods in the Guidance Counselor's Office, dodging PE and also, brooding and sulking.
  • I obsessed over, pined after and lost my identity in a thug (who I thought was so fine!) who had no interest in me. That's the year I learned the meaning of the word "unrequited" and also "infatuation".
  • I wasn't good at putting on make-up (but still snuck the little bit I'd gotten from my mom or stolen from Wal-Mart into my backpack so I could apply it at school since I wasn't yet allowed to wear it.)
I was in trouble, y'all.

I know that's a heavy starter but it was that, or you know, lie.

2. What's your favorite Beatles song?

I like the Beatles.
Especially,
I'm Looking Through You
When I'm 64
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da

3. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?

Pajama pants and a baggy t-shirt, but I'm not sure that qualifies as a real "outfit", as in "something I might wear on an outing". If that's what "outfit" means, then I vote for my black knit dress. It's as comfortable as my first choice, only better looking.

4. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?

I enjoy a little of both.

5. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?

I should dearly hope not. Digital books do nothing for me. What pleasure is there in reading a book you cannot feel or smell?

6. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing?

I'm tactile. I learn best by touching. I enjoy the other two, but doing something myself is the best way for me to actually remember what I'm learning.

7. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)
All of these criteria rose up after I got sober. Before that, let's just say I was less demanding.

A.
Violently sucking food out of his teeth
B. Wearing socks with sandals or super-reflective lens sunglasses
C. Acted needy or clingy or seeming desperate in any way
D. Smelling like an ashtray or taking the pot
E. Having snaggleteeth or halitosis

I would date: None of the above.

8. Snacks. Salty or sweet?

I'm weak. I fall for both.

9. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?

A bunch of cassette tapes. They've been there for 6 years--as long as we've been in this house. They've been in my possession for years and years though. I keep them because I'm a packrat they provide me with some much-appreciated nostalgia and dust.

10. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?

I'm not a fan.

Now Tom Hanks? That's a horse of a different color.

11. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?

Glare at it and scold it for being a selfish and unfeeling waste of my money.

Then I give it away because maybe someone else can benefit from my misstep.

12. Your favorite Fall comfort food?

Warm pie, the orange kind.
You know the ones....The usual suspects. Sweet Potato and Pumpkin.
(leaning in to whisper) Although truth be told, I cannot tell the difference.

Can you?
There's more where this came from. Go to Lid's place to partake.

5 people love me:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, we had some very similar answers!

Love your answer on the turn offs! :)

Mocha with Linda said...

Loved your answers. And i LOVE your quotes at the top of your blog, especially the one about diagramming (see my #1 answer!) LOL

r salvage. said...

Oh, the middle school memories! I wish I had my old diaries here at my house - I could totally crank out some stories about myself and all kinds of other people! I'd change their names of course. hehe.

Sweet Potato pie... yumm.

bren j. said...

The first piece of pie is obviously pumpkin and where would we be without pumpkin pie in fall....I have pumpkin 'leather' drying in the oven as we speak. Or, as I write.

The salty/sweet snacks dilemma is an aggravation of mine. I can never decide so I have to have a little of both. But then, which one do I end with? Augh!

The Beatles. Oi. There was a roadside sign here this summer that advertised watching out for "beatle larva" in your potatoes. Pests, indeed! ;)

myletterstoemily said...

hey jodie,

your local pest here. haven't forgotten
you and check your vocabulary list each
day.

i have an inclination that you are a very
fine person that the Lord is working
even more greatness into!

blessings,
lea