Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

02 November 2008

Two things.

First, Canton was very good to me. Very good. I had a great time. Pretty much finished one scarf and made some progress on the second. Bought some delight-inducing goodies and had some good visit-time weaved in and out. It was good. Something I hope to repeat somewhere in the not too distant future.

Oh, and I think it's worth noting that Canton is into the dogs. You can buy more clothes for your dog than you can shake a stick at. We even saw a lady who was wearing her dog in a baby sling-type contraption and her (poor, to-be-pitied) dog was wearing pink sunglasses. Yes it was.

It really is no wonder dogs bite people.

Second, I've been kicking around some things in my brain concerning this blog. I have, unintentionally, cultivated the habit of posting almost every day, whether I had something to say or not... lately it feels mostly like not and my blog is becoming something I have hoped it would not be.

I feel like this online life gets the best of my time sometimes. I may begin to post less regularly because for me, I want the things I say to be worth the time it takes to say (and read) them and if most of my time is spent sitting here reading about y'all or posting about me, then that doesn't leave much time for living.

I need to get my head into my home, and into some great books. I need to take some good stuff in before I can spit any good stuff out.

Annie (Maundering Pondering) said it best in something she posted recently. ...In her words (which are far better than mine): Before I can produce, I need to consume – through reading, and thinkin, and observing, and mulling things over. I need to interact with people (real humans), and go running, and listen, and nest,...I need to spend time living in order to find things to write about.... So in the coming days and weeks, I might not post as regularly. Or maybe I will – I don’t know. I suppose I’m just giving myself permission to let the thoughts ebb and flow, and to hold off until the light goes on.

All I can add is, amen to that sister.

Amen to that.

7 people love me:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Precious friend, I have the utmost respect for you right now. I feel the same way, and I tell you, I've been beating myself up almost because I feel like I'm not "keeping a commitment" or something. Which is hilarious, because my real commitment is all those things you (and Annie) mentioned. I'm with you on this.

However, I do hope we can still cultivate relationships with people (you!) and not be gone too long. :-)

Although, it's really funny that you posted this today; I spent the whole day in the living room with my fam writing posts for all week long. It's the first time I've EVER done that! Ha!

Unknown said...

I feel ya', girl. I've been posting a lot less lately too. But, don't stop posting all together please. I fear I would never know what was going on with you if you didn't, even though we live like within less than 10 miles away.

Love you, girl.

hootenannie said...

Jodie, I'm so glad that my post rang true! I think that we put so much pressure on ourselves to BE WITTY! BE FUNNY! BE WISE! And we can't always write that way. Amen to YOU giving yourself permission to take a step back every now and then. May the silent times be beautiful for you...

Jackie said...

Wow, you've been in my brain again. :) I have been thinking the exact same thing. It's not supposed to be this way, always a little uptight that I am behind on my posting and reading and commenting. It is supposed to add to my life, not become my life. I have been posting less as well, and trying to figure out what to do about the overwhelming amount of blogs that I follow.

Anonymous said...

WOW, apparently this is a common thing. I've been so busy I've taken a break from blogging because of stuff to do. I second Mama Belle - please don't stop posting all together.

r salvage. said...

I completely understand wanting to blog less and live more!!! I have friends at work asking me to post stuff so they have something to read. haha. I find that posting when you get the unshakable urge to share something totally awesome/ funny/ unexplicable, etc tends to be the way I go with it.

Enjoy your time away from blogging!!! But, I agree with everyone else, don't stop posting all together. :)

bren j. said...

Whew! This means that I might have some time between catch-ups. :) I'm FINALLY down to two in my google reader and those are ones I always save to read with The Husband.

Just don't stop communicating, whatever you do.