Word Up - It's Time to Get Wordy!

Word of the Day
I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences. Gertrude Stein

13 May 2010

And now I know what herpetology means.

We recently acquired a pet, and by "we" I mean "they".  But mostly him... my sweet 7 year old who loves reptiles (and who is also losing teeth faster than I can count.  Makes me squeamish at all the wigglyness and also swoonish at all the cuteness).


Anyway, a green anole [uh-noh-lee] is what we got (although it is sometimes brown, so I don't know why it's called "green").  Until I consulted Mr. The Google, I just thought it's proper name was yard lizard.  Because that's where I caught it.  In the yard.

It lives outside in the wild.  Well, outside in an aquarium-like "reptilian habitat" filled with  black and white rocks and also plastic plants, so it's like the wild... only with less danger.  And more plastic leaves.

So, paradise, basically.

Here's the thing though.  It won't let us watch it eat.  What do you think of that?  We pour in crickets, we wait.  Nothing.  Here's how I imagined it though.  Lizard + Crickets = instant Animal Planet Hunting Showdown Extravaganza.  A veritable feeding frenzy!

So far though, the young lad (lass?) ain't down with that.  It likes to eat alone, all private like, which is okay because I can respect a thing's privacy, but I only wish it weren't so shy.  I like to observe the science.  Like shedding, and devouring crickets.  *eyebrow raise*  Yummy.

8 people love me:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh, you make me smile!

"By we I mean they" I have said that more times than I can count about yard lizards, frogs, and crawdads of all things! Boys are so fun!

Did you take that picture of the "green anole"? Cuz it's a good one.

But you never said what "herpetology" means. Guess I'm gonna have to consult the Mr. Google. He's my friend, too.

Love you girl!

myletterstoemily said...

ok, so you want to see the lizard
desiccate the crickets, and he
won't do it for you? you might try
a little salt and pepper.

yippee! my favorite non-blogger
is blogging.

this is me being restrained like
your self conscious lizard.

Jodie | Velour said...

Chel: You make me smile too!
I cannot lay claim to that photo. I'm in the midst of camera issues at present. I have a camera (and I know how to use it) but I DON'T know how to upload them to my 'puter.
Oh, and herpetology is loosely the study of lizards and other reptiles and amphibians. I had to look that up today. :)

Lea: I'm your favorite? Keep saying that and I'll give you the moon. I will lasso the moon and gift it to you. :)
Oh, and you're a genius! S&P, and maybe a little butter. Surely he can't delay his gratification then!

Unknown said...

congratulations!
and i'm so glad you defined herpetology, b/c I had no idea and I'm too lazy right now to look it up :)

i think said 7 yo should write to the cousin's club about his new friend....

much love!

Jodie | Velour said...

Tonja: Great idea. I'll get right on that! :)

myletterstoemily said...

going, going, gone! . . . to the lady with
the poor, sad husband. :)

myletterstoemily said...

i'm going to email you, sweetie.

bren j. said...

Some girl out in our neighbourhood just screamed. Maybe she telepathically saw me see that reptile. *shudder*

My grandparents kept a hawk once. It wouldn't let us watch it eat either. Competition, maybe.

P.S. I wouldn't let the PETA people see this...they might come busting down your door for holding a wild 'animal' hostage. :)